Home » Just for Fun, Lifestyle + Culture

Beers from Around the World

Submitted by on June 22, 2009 – 4:44 pm9 Comments

beeraroundtheworldBeer is, in general, pretty easy to find while traveling around the world. I know, there are countries that prohibit the consumption of alcohol for religious reasons, but alcohol is usually still available in the hotels. While I don’t necessarily travel the world in search of the next great glass of beer, there’s no question that a relationship exists between the drink and the place. One might even suggest that a night out drinking beer is a way of tapping into a side of a country that you may not have seen otherwise.

While these may not be the finest quality beers in the world, here are my 11 favorite beers from around the world that I’ve come across during my travels.

Brahma - Brazil
VB - Australia
VB – Australia
Guinness - Ireland
Guinness – Ireland
Gallo - Guatemala
Gallo – Guatemala

• Several nice ones in your article, but if you haven’t already, you need to check out Yuengling from PA and Shiner Bock from TX.

• Jake says:

I feel like Heineken deserves honorable mention. Not because it’s good or because I like it, but because it got to be the most widely available beer in the world. I don’t know if I’ve ever been anywhere and not been able to get a Heiny, even if I’m usually passing it up for something else.

• Ramona says:

Efes is amazing… and usually all you can find in Turkey.

Leffe Blonde from Belgium is also mouthwateringly good, but only in the sun, and from draught (not the same in a bottle at home or in a darkened pub!)

Lastly, I’ve never seen a Guinness glass emblazoned with shamrocks… talk about pandering!

• Jake says:

Heh, I didn’t even notice the condensation photoshopped into little shamrocks. Guinness is a great beer, but it’s best in Dublin. Having it anywhere else just makes me miss Dublin.

I was shocked at first, a beer brewed in an Islamic country. Then I found that most Turks I talked to were Muslim the way most French are Catholic. I found myself missing Efes in Greece, I also found myself missing Turks. I know there is some gnarly history there, but by and large, Turks are super-duper friendly. Greeks? Well, maybe they would be more cheery if their country wasn’t constantly over-run with tourists. I’ll have to get back there and try some of the smaller islands and places less traveled to.

• Mike says:

Great selection – especially on a summers day at work! Got me thinking about my picnic basket. I’d add Sagres ( Portugal) Adnams Broadside ( Suffolk UK) and Kronenbourg Blanc ( Don’t know where it’s brewed but it’s good ). A dash of sunshine, a few friends and family and I can’t wait for the weekend!

• Jake says:

Prosim. I found myself surprised that there was not a single Czech Pivo on the list. However, I tried to remember some of my favorite kinds and I cannot. Partially, because the state I was in a good portion of the time in the Czech Repbulic. Also it’s because most places in Czech Republic only serve one kind of pivo. If you go in and ask for a pivo, and the only question… perhaps, is how much beer you get. Anyway, as a result, I can’t remember any single one of the delicious and surprisingly strong beers I’ve had by name. Even though several could probably go on a list of my 10 best.

• Agree with Jake. No Czech beer, but also no Belgian beers. The country probably makes some of the strongest but tastiest beers in Europe – monastery ales and trappist beers.

• Carolyn says:

Too bad about the VB mention…it’s the cheap beer in Australia, for a reason! Try Little Creatures, delicious!

• Alexandre says:

I live in Brazil, and even though Brahma is a very popular brand over here, I have never ever seen that particular bottle before. This is the traditional bottle of Brahma we see everyday:

It’s a mainstream, mass produced beer. If you really like your beer, try some from Eisenbahn (http://www.eisenbahn.com.br/) or perhaps Baden Baden (http://www.badenbaden.com.br).

Cheers!