Home » Just for Fun, Lifestyle + Culture

Have You Ever Been to Fucking, Austria?

Submitted by on October 2, 2009 – 10:51 am9 Comments

fuckingActually pronounced “fooking,” Fucking, Austria is a very real place. A 32 house village located near Salzburg on the German border, the little village of Fucking is named after the man named Focko who founded the village in the 6th century. The “ing” is an old Germanic suffix indicating the people of the root word to which it is attached. So, Fucking translates to the place of Focko’s people. The village has a population of 107.

If you go to Fucking, Austria, don’t even think about stealing the sign. The locals are very tired and sensitive to the constant stealing of signs for their oddly named village. While some visitors find it hilarious, the residents of Fucking fail to see the funny side. A local police officer is on record stating, “We will not stand for the Fucking signs being removed…Fucking is simply Fucking to us.” In an effort to curb the problem, local officials have installed cameras to catch thieves in the act.

• Do you realize how tempting it is to go to Austria just to say I went to F*cking, Austria? Hilarious!

• Anil says:

I’m now conjuring up all sorts of ways to use Fucking Austria.

• Nomadic Matt says:

My Austrian g/f told me about this place. I just want to go just for a photo with the sign!

• Alex says:

That’s pretty funny. There’s another town called Ausfahrt (I think) that I saw a sign for when I was touring Austria in 06.

• Pete says:

I used to work for a laboratory near Chicago, that had a scientist from India, who’s last name was Dikshit. That one always got alot of laughs from the co-workers, whenever we had to call the man up, to tell him an item came in for him through the receiving department, where I worked for many years.

• AdventureRob says:

How annoying would it be to be the person who has that sign in their front garden? Everyday tourists standing there for photos :D

• kimane says:

i could think of just one thing i would like to do on the ground by that sign :D

• Fabiano von Hohenheim says:

@Alex

Ausfahrt just means road “exit”, Ausfahrt signs are all over in German speaking countries.

• agentcikay says:

oh.. too funny! poor guys, can imagine how ‘fooking’ jokes, puns and theft would drive em crazy! great humorous post for a thursday morn. i keep coming back to read it and each time , i LOL as hard as the first;) haha