Some people love to travel alone. Others are paralyzed by the thought. But just because those around you don’t have the money or desire to get out and explore the world doesn’t mean you can’t. It’s a fantastic way to go. Here are some reasons and resources.
There are lots of reasons to travel solo.
- Independence. No need to compromise. As a solo traveler, you can do what interests you and you’re not dragged to do things that don’t.
- Because you’re not talking with a travel companion, you are more likely to talk with locals and other travelers – a great learning experience.
- Going solo raises curiosity, respect, concern, interest… from locals. They tend to go out of their way to enhance the solo traveler’s experience of their home town.
- Finding time for reading, painting, thinking… is much easier when you travel alone.
- Because it’s all up to you to navigate culture and logistics, solo travelers stretch themselves, develop new skills and often learn more.
- A solo trip is inevitably more about the destination, culture, history… than your companion.
- From all this, you discover yourself as you discover the world.
There are hundreds of resource articles on the Solo Traveler blog. Here are a select few to get you started.
- An interview with Janice/Solo Traveler – a podcast http://solotravelerblog.com/solo-traveler-podcast-solo-travel/
- Solo Travel Safety: Five Principles http://solotravelerblog.com/solo-travel-safety/
- 10 Tips on Clubbing and Pubbing Solo http://solotravelerblog.com/travel-alone-clubs-pubs-solo/
- 20 Tips to Keep you Safe http://solotravelerblog.com/solo-travel-dangerous-safety-tips/
- How to Travel Alone Without Being Lonely http://solotravelerblog.com/beat-lonliness-10-tips/
- Tips for the Shy Solo Traveler http://solotravelerblog.com/shy-people-travel/
- How to Survive Culture Shock http://solotravelerblog.com/travel-alone-tips-survive-culture-shock/
A solo traveler’s manifesto
To read more on why it’s great to travel solo, go to the Solo Traveler http://solotravelerblog.com website. There’s lots of posts on the topic but to really delve into it sign up for the monthly newsletter and receive a free copy of Glad You’re Not Here: A solo traveler’s manifesto. It’s an argument in favour of solo travel at any stage of life.
Have fun. Stay safe. Travel solo.
Guest post by: Janice Waugh